President Obama's Historic Visit to Hiroshima
On May 27th, 2016, President Obama became the first acting US President to visit Hiroshima since its atomic bombing during World War II. We have collected a list of articles and resources from around the web to help inform you about the events of this historic day.
Coverage in the US Media
- Transprict of President Obama's remarks in Hiroshima by the New York Times
- Coverage by the BBC - Hiroshima memory must never fade, Obama says on historic visit
- Audio of President Obama's full remarks provided by NPR - Obama Makes Historic Visit To Hiroshima Memorial Peace Park
- Video of President Obama laying a wreath at Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park and snippits of his remarks by Reuters - Obama mourns dead in Hiroshima, calls for world without nuclear arms
- Mainichi Shimbun's article Obama reiterates call for world without nuclear in historic Hiroshima visit
- The Japan Times's coverage Obama makes history, confronts past in Hiroshima
- Yomiuri Shimbun's article Obama visits Hiroshima / U.S. president pays respects to A-bomb victims
- An Interview with an atomic bomb victim by the Yomirui Shimbun Obama lifts hibakusha’s hurt after Truman
Learn more about the history of Hiroshima with our essay Hiroshima: History, City, Event by Dr. Scott O'Bryan, Associate Professor, Indiana University.
Image: Public Domain https://www.flickr.com/photos/statephotos/13991952172/